ad

14.9.13

This is what Mental Illness Looks Like!

The screen capture which you see above (click to enlarge) is taken from the hip, progressive, forward-thinking online publication known as Salon.Com. Give it a read-through, and pay special attention to the parts which I have underscored in red. 

I had to review this passage about ten times before I could believe that I was actually reading what I was reading. But yes, apparently a penis can be "female", and a vagina can be "male" if you just make up your mind to . . . oh. . . .call them that, I guess! I mean, really, what's in a name? And what truly seals the deal is our writer's assurance that:
"Our bodies are not objective pieces of matter that pre-exist the inscription of social meaning."
Well who'd-a-thunk it? All these years, I was pretty doggone sure my body was an objective piece of matter that pre-existed the inscription of social meaning. But hell man, what did I know? I just had to get schooled, didn't I? So I guess that makes me one of the cool kids now, eh?

So dear reader, here is what I want you to do. I want you to strip naked, and stand in front of the mirror, and take inventory of what you've got. Based on what you see in the mirror, you might conclude that you are inherently "male" or that you are  inherently "female", but either way I would hasten to assure you that none of it pre-exists the inscription of social meaning. Thus,  you do not really have a "penis" or a "vagina" - those things are mere constructs after all - and they do not actually exist.  Well no, that's not right. What I meant to say was, that they do not actually PRE-exist. Do you follow me?

Hey, it's like. . . mind over matter. Or something. So go ahead and inscribe social meaning to what you see in the mirror, and it will start existing.

No comments:

pages listed by date